Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Latest Portfolio and plan ahead

UPDATE on 13th Mar 2013

One of my facebook friends read this and posted the following comment:

"You seem to have diversified too much! You hold 7 mutual funds, index fund, gold fund, bank deposits and 9 companies apart from 'sin' money?! Surely too much right?"

Here's my response to the question on too much diversification:

1. I have 5 equity mutual funds, 3 into small / mid caps and 2 into large cap. This is to reduce risk of "key man". Moreover, when I'm going into study phase, I'd prefer to invest primarily into mutual funds and almost no investments directly into equity.

2. Debt funds are primarily a place for parking incremental gains, and not fresh capital. I believe this is better than holding these gains as pure cash, and when I liquidate stocks, the macro environment may not be right to make fresh investments into equity or other main stream funds.

3. Investment in GOLD is for "traditional purposes"

4. Finally, NIFTYBEES is the last resort when I don't have clarity and conviction to invest money in any other vehicle, and I just want to ride along the index.
In any case, not all of these will be present in my portfolio at all times. As I gain more confidence from learning and the fact that I can invest directly in stocks, I'll reduce exposure to mutual funds. Regarding 9 stocks, I think 10 is more or less the maximum number of stocks an individual can follow diligently. Yes, 9 is close to this upper limit, but this 9 is mix of my decisions and their changes over last 1 year, and I'm OK to reduce this, but honour 10 as upper limit at all times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back from a long break, and time now to catch up on value investing studies and practice. This one's a quick dump down of plan ahead.

Stay with no more fresh investments directly into stocks, unless justified with strong reasons. Any fresh investible cash to be added to mutual funds. Here's the list of mutual funds (equal contribution, which gives 60% into small / mid caps and 40% into large caps) I've selected:


Large Cap focussed


- Franklin India Bluechip Fund
- HDFC Top 200 Fund


Small / Mid cap focused


DSP Blackrock Small & Mid-cap fund

Balanced / Debt focused

Depending on macro-economic outlook and its understanding (through interest rate cycle and equity market P/E cycle, apart from global financial situation), any surplus funds when there're no good options for main-stream equity investments, will be distributed in one of the following, depending on relative valuations:

- Bank Fixed Deposits
- Gold through GOLDBEES ETF
- Index fund through NIFTYBEES ETF (only if there're reasons NOT to add one time into mutual funds, such as when amount of cash is too small to invest equally in all mutual funds)
- HDFC Prudence Fund, as a balanced investment in equity and debt
- ICICI Pru Gilt Investment Fund Growth Option, as a debt oriented investment vehicle

Apart from these choices of investment vehicles for fresh capital, I've also categorized the direct stock investments that I hold currently into three classes:

Long Term Stock Investments

These are investments where I believe that the potential unlocking will take at least 3 to 5 years, such that I expect a return of at least 50% (3 years) to 100% (5 years), assuming a hurdle rate of 15%, and the following holds true
- I believe in the "story"
- The business quality is good and I expect business to grow in value over long term
- I've performed a thorough qualitative analysis to justify investing in this company, and I've performed a reasonable valuation analysis to NOT have bought the stock at expensive valuations.

Right now, the following are such stocks in my portfolio, although I may not have performed an in depth analysis for all of them.

Infrastructure & Natural Resources

I believe that India will grow and infrastructure still needs to play a big role. I've bought these stocks at reasonable if not cheap valuations, and when infrastructure spending rebounds, these businesses will see improvements in earnings and the depressed stock prices will see upwards re-rating. When this happens, I'll have a re-look to analyse if it makes sense to continue to hold these stocks or book profit and channelize elsewhere

1. Crompton Greaves
2. BHEL
3. MOIL

Telecom and IT

These are backbone of Indian economy, and the new generation services growth is linked to these industries. Moreover, the following two businesses have been the leaders, and they still hold potential to continue to remain so. Bharti with its hold on telecom spectrum and market position, and Infosys with a conservative management and a lot of free cash, will slowly grow and regain their "leader status" in the stock market when the next peak of bull market comes. That'll be the time to revisit them and see if to hold them further or not

4. Bharti Airtel
5. Infosys

Medicine / Healthcare

No doubts that healthcare industry will grow real big as Indian population gets older and has cash to afford quality health care when they retire. Since I've written about this company on my blog, so no further here :-)

6. Piramal Enterprise Ltd

Manufacturing (Small cap stock)

This is a small company which I believe has good potential to continue to grow and it has able management to not destroy the good balance sheet position like others. It's my sole "Lynch type" holding, but I'll remain conservative to evaluate it continuously and make fresh investments in this company only at reasonable valuations.

7. Mazda Ltd.

Financial Services

No doubts this industry plays a big role in Indian economy today, and has the largest weightage on indices as well. I've chosen the following two stocks, but with doubts about PNB, as mentioned below

8. CARE Ratings: I subscribed and was allotted 20 shares in the IPO. Since I believe in long term prospects of the industry and the business, I decided to hold on and NOT book 25% profit which came on the listing day. I'm even willing to make more investments in this stock when I have surplus cash and that price is low (the stock has fallen closer to the IPO price in recent weeks), however, any fresh investment after careful incremental analysis only.'

P.S: I also hold a tracking position (1 share) in Hindustan Unilever (HUL). Its a great business, but probably still too expensive below 450. I need time to find the right valuation method and good purchase price and start accumulating this evergreen stock as it falls when money moves into cyclicals. Such stocks like FMCG / Pharma need to be picked up slowly like an SIP in Mutual Funds, since you never know when they again become market darlings, and finding a floor for them is very difficult. Another reason to buy this stock individually is since none of the mutual funds I selected above hold HUL, and I simply love the business (through scuttlebutts, of course :-))

Short Term Plays / Sin Money

These are investments where I see an opportunity with reasonable margin of safety to exploit market mis-pricing to my profit. Examples include, but not limited to:

- BFSI stocks: Buy when available at good discount to book value, and sell when revert to mean (P/BV > 1)
- Beaten down stocks: Carnage in market causing some stock to be beaten down sharply, and I have strong reasons to believe that the stock can rebound at least 15-20% in 3-6 months.

Since the risk is high, I'd want higher returns from such investments - at least 20-30% in the investment horizon, if I don't see reasons that this will happen, I'd rather stay away.

Moreover, I'll limit to 15-20% of my portfolio in such stocks to avoid major erosion of capital in case these "bets" go wrong. This doesn't mean I'll always invest in such stocks, and I'll be happy to park surplus funds in mutual funds if I can't find such opportunities.

Some examples where I recently benefited, although only 3% of my portfolio holding was in such stocks. All four below were beaten down for various reasons and I believed they'll bounce back in months to come.

Unitech: Bought around 30 on 29-Nov-2012 and sold around 39 on 18-Jan-2013
Moserbaer: Bought around 5.8 and sold at 6.95 in less than 2 months
Spicejet: Bought a little expensive at 45 but sold at minor profit at ~49
Suzlon: Committed mistake to not sell at 25%+ profits, but managed to exit at some profits

9. Punjab National Bank: This is a pure valuation play - buy known banks when trading at significant discount to their book value to insure against "unknowns" in balance sheet. However, I've committed mistake of not selling this stock when the intermittent re-rating occurs. This stock confuses me - whether to keep it as a short term (3 - 6 months) investment and exploit mis-pricing, or hold it for long term considering PNB's status. I don't think the business is great, especially since it's a PSU bank with command from government which often deteriorates asset quality, and it'd probably be better to be conservative and sell it upon the next rally in stock (and when P/BV comes above 1)

Going forward, I'll stick to this plan and focus on studying, and post when I learn something new :-)

Happy Investing, and drive safely as the speed is increasing ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment